A beginner question about Murder

Shuvam Misra shuvam.misra at merceworld.com
Thu Sep 9 02:20:25 EDT 2010

> On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 01:41:26PM -0700, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > Unfortunately, I've never setup a "unified" Murder, so I don't fully
> > understand what the advantages and disadvantages of it compared to a
> > "traditional" Murder.  Maybe someone else can jump in here with their
> > experiences.
>
> And while they're at it, they could hopefully give an opinion on whether
> there's any point keeping "traditional" Murder from a technical standpoint,
> i.e. if it would hurt to make all Murder "unified" and if people choose
> to lay out their servers in the traditional manner it would still just work.

I for one, a newbie to Cyrus, would vote for a design which allows
all-in-one servers, and allows separation if needed. Basically,
"localhost" should always be a valid network destination for all types of
network communication based systems.

Why is this a problem with current Cyrus Murder setups? What internal
details prevent a front-end server, mupdate server, and back-end server
from coexisting on the same physical system? Is it that there's no
facility in the back-end server feature to make it listen only on
localhost:imap and not on *:imap? If that's the only problem, I am sure
it'll be a simple patch to fix. But I guess the problem is bigger than
this.

Shuvam