messages in mailbox aren't visible

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 12 16:15:32 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 02:41:47PM -0500, Patrick Goetz wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 02:25 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> >
> > Ahh... what does your improved_mboxlist_sort imapd.conf variable
> > say?
> >

> Nada -- I don't have this variable set in imapd.conf.
>
> However, when I do set
>   improved_mboxlist_sort: 1
> in /etc/imapd.conf
>
> I get the following error when trying to run ctl_mboxlist:
>
>    root at www:~# ctl_mboxlist -d > foo2.txt
>    fatal error: can't read mailboxes file
>
> remove the improved_mboxlist_sort entry, restart cyrus and ctl_mboxlist
> works again:
>
>   root at www:~# vi /etc/imapd.conf
>   root at www:~# /etc/init.d/cyrus2.3 restart
>   Stopping Cyrus IMAPd: cyrmaster.
>   Waiting for complete shutdown...
>   Starting Cyrus IMAPd: cyrmaster.
>   root at www:~# ctl_mboxlist -d > foo2.txt
>   root at www:~#

RTFM says: "dump the mailbox, change the setting, undump the mailbox, restart"

Annoyingly, you can't switch it on the fly.  If only there was a way to
detect what the value previously was.  I dunno, some sort of header
flag on the skiplist.  Hmm... some sort of header flag...

Bron ( don't mind me, just musing.  Nothing going to be in Cyrus earlier
       than version 2.4.1 anyway )