Does anyone allow unlimited or extremely large quotas?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 22 15:17:06 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 03:36:07PM +0100, Sébastien Michel wrote:
> > > You have got to be kidding me.  Unless there's actually something which
> > > requires the files to be rewritten (i.e. an expunge event) then this
> > > should not happen.  Again, Cyrus 2.4.x will be much more efficient in
> > > this regard, only rewriting if you have explicitly enable immediate
> > > expunge rather than "default" expunge.
> >
> It is a 2.3.16. Tu be sure I have tested again with a fresh downloaded
> tarball. Just sending a mail in LMTP and opening the mailbox several times
> (SELECT/CLOSE only)
> A binary diff indicated that Generation Number is incremented but nothing
> else.

Oh yeah - expunge on close.  God, that's awful.  2.4.x will fix that.
Switching filehandles to read-only won't help, because the standard
says to expunge on close!

If you actually WANT read-only, the command is called 'EXAMINE' by
the way.  It's like SELECT, but actually supposed to be read-only.

FYI - I've written an experimental "open the cyrus.index and cyrus.cache
files read only if the mailbox is opened with a read lock" patch.  It seems
to work fine, but I find that the index functions actually use a write lock
anyway because they could be updating \Recent data or \Seen data.  Oops.
So I'll have to fix that too.

Bron.