problematic upgrade 2.3.16 -> 2.4.3

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 10 21:45:34 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 09:38:34PM +0100, Paul Dekkers wrote:
> Hi Bron,
>
> Thanks for your reply:
>
> On 10-11-2010 21:27, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> >>(Can I downgrade? I just need to reconstruct everything, right, because
> >>the index format changed? :-S)
> >
> >Yes, you will need to reconstruct anything which successfully upgraded.
>
> Ok, there's no way of telling what folders got succesfully upgraded,
> right? I only see messages "Index upgrade failed: user.paul",
> indicating the ones that failed :-S
>
> (A selective reconstruct would be faster.)

You can run 'reconstruct -s', which is pretty fast, but still
detects the worst cases.

> >This issue got reported last night, and I wrote a patch but haven't
>
> So, just the reconstruct problem, or more of my symptoms? (I've
> looked at the devel archive and the info-cyrus, but did not see
> anything similar, or from last night anyway ;-) so I have no idea
> what issue exactly.)

This will fix all your broken upgrades.

> >yet tested it.  I can give it to you in about 2-3 hours if you'll still
> >be around then!
>
> Hmm, 3 hours will be quite late here, but if you can help me
> understand if the patch would solve "all" my symptoms, it might be
> worth it.
>
> But I have the feeling its not just reconstruct (as even after
> succesfull reconstructs I still get errors, and I didn't expect this
> many errors initially anyway).

No - upgrades were all sorts of broken :(  I'm really sorry.  This
patch will get scrambled for 2.4.4.

(Note: I havne't written the cyrus.expunge fix yet - this is just to
make the rest of the upgrades go cleanly!)

https://github.com/brong/cyrus-imapd/tree/for244

Or just apply the attached patches (generated from that tree since
2.4.3 was released)

Patch number 4 is the one you care about, but the others are fine
to apply too.

Now - I'm going to look into cyrus.expunge handling magic for you.

Bron.