Nested "INBOX" folders - hard to delete

Jukka Huhta jukka.huhta at helsinki.fi
Mon Mar 29 09:53:51 EDT 2010

We have several users with folders like this:

user.username.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX....INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.Deleted Messages
(total of 76 INBOXes or something).

No doubt the folders are generated by a bug in Apple Mail, but how to
get rid of them?  Users can't do that by themselves, and no MUA I've
tried is able to handle the folders either.  I wonder what Cyrus
thinks of them, probably doesn't like too long names or something.

Cyradm is just giving an error from Cyrus:
cyradm> dm user.username.INBOX.*
Deleting mailbox user.username.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.INBOX.Deleted Messages...Invalid mailbox name

I'd really like to fix the problem without shutting any Cyrus
instances down and manually dumping, editing and undumping the mailbox
list.

Any suggestions?

-Jukka Huhta