Quotas and disk usage

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jan 14 13:32:53 EST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 13:25 -0500, Robert Wirstrom wrote:
> We are running Cyrus 2.3.15 on Solaris 10 and recently started enabling
> quotas for around 100 users. Certain user accounts show conflicting
> information based on the 'quota' command and how much space is taken up
> by the filesystem ('du').

These won't necessarily correspond.

>  We have run 'quota -f' and 'reconstruct -r -f'
> numerous times with no change. We sometimes run into accounts with
> insanely high numbers which get resolved after a 'reconstruct.' These
> are different though, eg.

Some earlier versions of Cyrus had quota calculation issues with big
quotas (2GB? 4GB?) or big mailboxes.  I think there is a blurb in WMOGAG
about that, and what version fixed it.

> bash-3.00$ /opt/cyrus-imap/bin/quota -f user.user1
>    Quota   % Used     Used Root
>  5242880       63  3303494 user.user1
> bash-3.00$ /opt/cyrus-imap/bin/quota -f user.user2
>    Quota   % Used     Used Root
>  41943040       93 39410366 user.user2
> bash-3.00$ du -sh user1
>  7.6G   user1
> bash-3.00$ du -sh user2
>  6.4G   user2

Do you have delayed expunge enabled?  If so actual disk size may very
well exceed quota values - because the expunged-but-not-yet-expired
messages are still on the disk.

OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @