Quotas and disk usage

Robert Wirstrom robw at mizuhocap.com
Thu Jan 14 13:25:54 EST 2010

Hi,

We are running Cyrus 2.3.15 on Solaris 10 and recently started enabling
quotas for around 100 users. Certain user accounts show conflicting
information based on the 'quota' command and how much space is taken up
by the filesystem ('du'). We have run 'quota -f' and 'reconstruct -r -f'
numerous times with no change. We sometimes run into accounts with
insanely high numbers which get resolved after a 'reconstruct.' These
are different though, eg.

bash-3.00$ /opt/cyrus-imap/bin/quota -f user.user1
   Quota   % Used     Used Root
 5242880       63  3303494 user.user1
bash-3.00$ /opt/cyrus-imap/bin/quota -f user.user2
   Quota   % Used     Used Root
 41943040       93 39410366 user.user2
bash-3.00$ du -sh user1
 7.6G   user1
bash-3.00$ du -sh user2
 6.4G   user2

As you can see what is reported as 'used' by 'quota' does not match with
what is actually on the file system.

Any thoughts as to what is happening here?

Thank you,

Robert

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be confidential, proprietary and/or legally privileged.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.

If you have any queries, or if you no longer wish to receive email in accordance with the Act on Regulation of the Transmission of Specified Electronic Mail, please contact the sender of this email.