Quotas and disk usage

Robert Wirstrom robw at mizuhocap.com
Thu Jan 14 13:52:27 EST 2010

Thanks for your quick reply.

On 01/14/10 01:32 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 13:25 -0500, Robert Wirstrom wrote:
>> We are running Cyrus 2.3.15 on Solaris 10 and recently started enabling
>> quotas for around 100 users. Certain user accounts show conflicting
>> information based on the 'quota' command and how much space is taken up
>> by the filesystem ('du').
>
> These won't necessarily correspond.

Understood, but they should be somewhat close in number, right?

>>  We have run 'quota -f' and 'reconstruct -r -f'
>> numerous times with no change. We sometimes run into accounts with
>> insanely high numbers which get resolved after a 'reconstruct.' These
>> are different though, eg.
>
> Some earlier versions of Cyrus had quota calculation issues with big
> quotas (2GB? 4GB?) or big mailboxes.  I think there is a blurb in WMOGAG
> about that, and what version fixed it.

2.3.15 was the latest up until about a month ago. We have no problems
with other users with bigger quotas.

>> bash-3.00$ /opt/cyrus-imap/bin/quota -f user.user1
>>    Quota   % Used     Used Root
>>  5242880       63  3303494 user.user1
>> bash-3.00$ /opt/cyrus-imap/bin/quota -f user.user2
>>    Quota   % Used     Used Root
>>  41943040       93 39410366 user.user2
>> bash-3.00$ du -sh user1
>>  7.6G   user1
>> bash-3.00$ du -sh user2
>>  6.4G   user2
>
> Do you have delayed expunge enabled?  If so actual disk size may very
> well exceed quota values - because the expunged-but-not-yet-expired
> messages are still on the disk.

Delayed expunge is not enabled.

>> As you can see what is reported as 'used' by 'quota' does not match with
>> what is actually on the file system.
>> Any thoughts as to what is happening here?

This e-mail contains information some or all of which may be confidential, proprietary and/or legally privileged.  If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail.  If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this e-mail.

If you have any queries, or if you no longer wish to receive email in accordance with the Act on Regulation of the Transmission of Specified Electronic Mail, please contact the sender of this email.