Delays in collecting messages with Mac Mail

Brian Awood bawood at umich.edu
Thu Feb 4 16:27:16 EST 2010

We've seen somewhat similar behavior with the Apple Mail client in the past.
My guess is it's IDLE related.  If your using Apple Mail that came with 10.5,
it's IDLE implementation appears to work at first.  However it has a bug in it
so that it stops working after a while.  It seemed related to how it managed
different connections to the server,  using a different connection for each
folder you opened.  It is more reliable in the version that comes with OS X
10.6.

However we've also seen very strange behavior in Apple Mail when it's local
cache gets corrupted somehow.  You can try using the Mailbox->Rebuild option,
but typically the most effective way I've found to correct it is to go into
Preferences:Accounts and remove the account that has the problem, then restart
Apple Mail and reconfigure the account.

-Brian