Delays in collecting messages with Mac Mail

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 11:06:41 EST 2010

Hi folks,

I'm running the debian package of cyrus in lenny, 2.2.13-14, and I've
encountered some odd behaviour with Mac Mail that I'm struggling to
explain.  Emails that have been successfully delivered sometimes fail to
appear in Mac Mail clients for many hours.

I'm currently uncertain if it's being caused by cyrus or Mail.app,
although it has only started happening since we moved from a compiled
2.2.12 version to the debian package on new hardware - we migrated the
mailboxes using the cyradm 'xfer' feature.

Exim's mail logs report successful delivery, and the timestamp of the
file in the cyrus spool matches the delivery time.  If checked with
another email client, such as squirrelmail, the emails are in the
mailbox. I'll mention that our squirrelmail installation connects using
imap through a perdition proxy, just for completeness, but there are
some users who have experienced this delay without using any other email
clients.

Using the example of one of our sysadmins yesterday, an email was
delivered into his mailbox at 10:09.  It appeared in Mac Mail at
approximately 4pm.  In the intervening hours, other messages were
delivered and appeared in Mac Mail; I also see several successful logins
from his mac to the imap server, regular opening of "INBOX.Apple Mail To
Do" and so forth.  During that time he had no other email client open. I
also checked and found that Mac Mail was configured to use the 'IDLE'
command, which, when manually testing it, appears to be working
satisfactorily.

Has anyone encountered something like this before?

Thanks,
Simon.