Stuck mailboxes.db entries with mbtype=2

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Tue Aug 24 11:21:21 EDT 2010

Hi, all,

Do to an error I made in migrating a file system during some system work,
we ended up with our configdirectory with permissions that the cyrus user
couldn't write to on a few of our back-end servers.  Amazingly, we were
about 90% functional during this time, but several mailboxes that got
created during that time ended up with some decidedly messed-up
characteristics.

Most we've been able to fix with reconstruct, but we're stuck with a few
hundred mailboxes where the backend created the mailbox on disk, registered
it with the MUPDATE server, but left it in "reserved" state in the local
(backend) mailboxes.db with mbtype=2.  This means that it shows up in a
LIST or LSUB with the \NoSelect flag, and the users can't do anything with
it, including delete it.

I know I could do some pretty heavy-handed stuff to clear this condition,
like dumping the mailboxes database, modifying it by hand, and then
undumping it, but I'm looking for a less invasive procedure to clear this
condition.  Is there any relatively straightforward way to get the
mailboxes.db to notice that there's an actual, good copy on disk, and
re-set the mbtype to 0?

Michael Bacon
ITS Messaging
UNC Chapel Hill