Stuck mailboxes.db entries with mbtype=2

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 24 13:12:22 EDT 2010

On 08/24/2010 11:21 AM, Michael Bacon wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> Do to an error I made in migrating a file system during some system work,
> we ended up with our configdirectory with permissions that the cyrus user
> couldn't write to on a few of our back-end servers.  Amazingly, we were
> about 90% functional during this time, but several mailboxes that got
> created during that time ended up with some decidedly messed-up
> characteristics.
>
> Most we've been able to fix with reconstruct, but we're stuck with a few
> hundred mailboxes where the backend created the mailbox on disk, registered
> it with the MUPDATE server, but left it in "reserved" state in the local
> (backend) mailboxes.db with mbtype=2.  This means that it shows up in a
> LIST or LSUB with the \NoSelect flag, and the users can't do anything with
> it, including delete it.
>
> I know I could do some pretty heavy-handed stuff to clear this condition,
> like dumping the mailboxes database, modifying it by hand, and then
> undumping it, but I'm looking for a less invasive procedure to clear this
> condition.  Is there any relatively straightforward way to get the
> mailboxes.db to notice that there's an actual, good copy on disk, and
> re-set the mbtype to 0?

If the mailbox structure has been successfully created already and your
problem really is just the mbtype listed in the mailboxes database, I
think you should be able to rectify this by sending an ACTIVATE command
to the mupdate server for the affected mailboxes.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-siemborski-mupdate-04#section-9.1

For example, using mupdatetest:

$ mupdatetest -m GSSAPI your.mupdate.server.com.
S: * AUTH "GSSAPI"
S: * COMPRESS "DEFLATE"
S: * PARTIAL-UPDATE
S: * OK MUPDATE "your.mupdate.server.com" "Cyrus Murder" "v2.3.16"
"(master)"
C: A01 AUTHENTICATE "GSSAPI" {752+}
...snipped...
S: A01 OK "Authenticated"
Authenticated.
1 ACTIVATE "user.testuser" "your.cyrus.backend.com!u1" "testuser lrswipcda"
1 OK "done"
2 logout
2 OK "bye-bye"

Thanks,