Cyrus IMAPd 2.3.15 - cvt_cyrusdb changes owner of seen-file

Per Steinar Iversen PerSteinar.Iversen at hio.no
Sun Sep 13 07:43:45 EDT 2009

I just upgraded our imap-server to 2.3.15 using the cyrus-imapd-2.3.15-2
rpm made available by Simon Matter (thanks!). The OS is Redhat 5.4 on
x86_64.

All works well so far, except for one new strangeness: We have a script,
run by root, that counts the number of unread mails in inboxes. To be able
to parse this information easily the seen-files are converted from
skiplist to the flat format first. This worked well for years, but now
there is a change, sometimes the conversion triggers a checkpoint, the log
is then something like this:

Sep 13 13:06:18 imap cvt_cyrusdb[21330]: skiplist: checkpointed /var/lib/imap/user/d/dxxxx.seen (8 records, 716 bytes) in 0 seconds

What is new now is that the seen-file is owned by root and not cyrus after
the checkpoint.

Is this a bug or just me doing something stupid?

-psi