Cyrus IMAPd 2.3.15 - cvt_cyrusdb changes owner of seen-file

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 13 07:54:01 EDT 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 01:43:45PM +0200, Per Steinar Iversen wrote:
> All works well so far, except for one new strangeness: We have a script,
> run by root, that counts the number of unread mails in inboxes. To be able
> to parse this information easily the seen-files are converted from
> skiplist to the flat format first. This worked well for years, but now
> there is a change, sometimes the conversion triggers a checkpoint, the log
> is then something like this:

You read the flat files with a tool?

> Sep 13 13:06:18 imap cvt_cyrusdb[21330]: skiplist: checkpointed /var/lib/imap/user/d/dxxxx.seen (8 records, 716 bytes) in 0 seconds
>
> What is new now is that the seen-file is owned by root and not cyrus after
> the checkpoint.
>
> Is this a bug or just me doing something stupid?

The change that's triggering it is is that recovery can cause a checkpoint
now.  The cvt_cyrusdb should be running as Cyrus (you could argue it should
drop privs automatically)

Alternatively, there's cyr_dbtool.  You can use that to dump the .seen
db and pipe the output to somewhere.  Run that as cyrus user as well.
There's always a risk that the file will choose to run "recovery", and
hence trigger the checkpoint.

Bron.