Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

David Lang david.lang at digitalinsight.com
Fri Oct 23 16:37:30 EDT 2009

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> At Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:00:34 -0700 (PDT), David Lang <david.lang at digitalinsight.com> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client
>>
>> as long as you are willing to limit yourself to a single MUA on a single
>> desktop/laptop.
>>
>> if you want to be able to access your mail from different devices you need a
>> mail server, not just a MUA
>
> Huh?  What in the heck are you talking about?
>
> I run multiple IMAP clients (some on the same computer, some on
> different computers) all _simultaneously_, all accessing a half-dozen
> different mail accounts on different servers around the Internet.
>
> All my MUAs access the same folders and same messages directly, and
> simultaneously.
>
> I certainly don't need yet another IMAP server and a whole bunch of
> unnecessary complexity with things like fetchmail just to do this.

I possibly missed it, but I didn't see anything that said that fetchmail was
grabbing things via IMAP.

if the remote account is POP then doing something like this has value

if you have intermittent/expensive-per-min internet connectivity doing something
like this has value.

I did something similar to this several years ago where a non-profit only had
dial-up internet. I ran a local cyrus server and then had a process to bring up
the internet connection as-needed. In that case I just polled for mail every
half hour and people were willing to live with that at that time. In this case I
actually used UUCP through a fixed mail server to do the routing instead of
fetchmail, but the basic concept is the same.

another reason to run your own server is just to be free from quotas. many ISPs
have small mail quotas.

David Lang