Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Fri Oct 23 16:30:55 EDT 2009

At Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:00:34 -0700 (PDT), David Lang <david.lang at digitalinsight.com> wrote:
Subject: Re: Exec'ing a script from Cyrus when imapd has a client

> as long as you are willing to limit yourself to a single MUA on a single
> desktop/laptop.
>
> if you want to be able to access your mail from different devices you need a
> mail server, not just a MUA

Huh?  What in the heck are you talking about?

I run multiple IMAP clients (some on the same computer, some on
different computers) all _simultaneously_, all accessing a half-dozen
different mail accounts on different servers around the Internet.

All my MUAs access the same folders and same messages directly, and
simultaneously.

I certainly don't need yet another IMAP server and a whole bunch of
unnecessary complexity with things like fetchmail just to do this.

What I would really like to learn is why anyone would falsely believe
that they do somehow need their own IMAP server for this reason.  There
must be some false conception or expectation permeating some parts of
the ether out there.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>