Murder confusion -- two mupdate slaves, lmtpproxyd's always connecting to master

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 10 14:46:14 EST 2009

--On November 10, 2009 1:23:33 PM -0500 Brian Awood <bawood at umich.edu>
wrote:

> Unfortunately it's not well documented, but the unified murder config
> currently only works on a proxy host.  Don't try to configure it on
> a "backend" machine that has local mailboxes!!!  Unless you want to
> manually fix up the mailboxes.db and mupdate master. :)  There are a
> few reports in the bugzilla from people who have tried to do that and
> mucked things up.
>
> So to answer your question, basically yes.  The gain is that using it
> on a proxy gives you the behavior you want,  which is lmtpd checks
> it's local db copy first instead of asking mupdate on every delivery.
> It seems to me like the behavior anyone running murder would want,
> but for some reason that isn't apparently true.

Thanks very much for this -- the mupdate server is now not sweating nearly
as much.  We still have some outstanding performance issues to stomp, but
we were locking up the mupdate master pretty badly, and it was making
everything worse.  With this, I think we can focus on single-server issues
from here on out.

-Michael