Murder confusion -- two mupdate slaves, lmtpproxyd's always connecting to master

Brian Awood bawood at umich.edu
Tue Nov 10 13:23:33 EST 2009

On Tuesday 10 November 2009 @ 12:37, Michael Bacon wrote:
> I saw this recommendation elsewhere, but I don't understand why one
> would set mupdate_config: unified if I'm not, in fact, running a
> unified murder. What's the gain here?  We have dedicated front-end
> boxes and dedicated back-end boxes.  Is this just sort of a, "yeah,
> it's not for that, but it does what you want anyway" kind of
> things?

Unfortunately it's not well documented, but the unified murder config
currently only works on a proxy host.  Don't try to configure it on
a "backend" machine that has local mailboxes!!!  Unless you want to
manually fix up the mailboxes.db and mupdate master. :)  There are a
few reports in the bugzilla from people who have tried to do that and
mucked things up.

So to answer your question, basically yes.  The gain is that using it
on a proxy gives you the behavior you want,  which is lmtpd checks
it's local db copy first instead of asking mupdate on every delivery.
It seems to me like the behavior anyone running murder would want,
but for some reason that isn't apparently true.

-Brian