Sieve: Vacation not working

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue May 26 11:18:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-26 at 09:21 -0400, Gottschalk, David wrote:
> See, I'm using this entirely custom deliver script in .procmailrc, and
> I think that is my problem. I think if Sieve doesn't get a proper from
> address, it will not reply. The question is how do you know if this is
> occurring?

Sendmail has been able to perform LMTP delivery (no "deliver" required)
for a long time.

> You might try different configuration options of that. I've seen searching the web that some people had vacation reply issues with different configurations of the Cyrus mailer(s).
> > How do you hand off mail from Sendmail to Cyrus? I'm thinking that could be my issue, maybe yours too.
> I'm using the cyrus feature
> define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrus')dnl
> ifdef(`CYRUS_MAILER_ARGS',,
> `define(`CYRUS_MAILER_ARGS', `deliver -e -f $f -m $h -- $u')')
> in the mc file, and as the regular sorting seems to work (moving certain
> mails to other folders e.g.), as well as storing incoming mail in the
> appropriate inboxes, I assume the Cyrus interface as such should be
> working fine, as well as the Sieve call ... what puzzles me is that I
> don't even see Sieve attempt to deliever anything, at least not locally
> - plus I can't seem to find any config file that would contain
> definitions about what to do with mails generated by Sieve (like, e.g.,
> what Mailserver to use)

This is specified in imapd.conf via the "sendmail" directive.

<quote>
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
The pathname of the sendmail executable.  Sieve invokes sendmail  for
sending  rejections, redirects and vacation responses.
Note:  This Invoca RPM build uses /usr/sbin/sendmail by default instead
of /usr/lib/sendmail for sendmail.

sendsms: /usr/bin/sendsms
The pathname of the sendsms executable.  Sieve invokes sendsms for
sending  SMS  notifications.
</quote>