Outlook + Cyrus IMAPd == Drop'd connection

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 28 03:24:35 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 02:59:28AM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Running the latest version of 2.3.x, I'm having an issue where I can't
> seem to get Outlook to connect to the server ... I get a bunch of errors
> about:
>
> master[22775]: process 1486 exited, signaled to death by 10

That's USR1 on my linux machine.  It gets sent by idled.  If
idled still thinks you're idling, but your imapd doesn't,
then it's not trapping USR1 any more.

That's potentially a bug.

> Now, if I try and connect using Outlook Express, with the exact same
> connection information, without making any changes to the server, all
> works fine ... in fact, at the same time as Outlook is failing, an attempt
> to connect using horde works fine also ...
>
> This is trying Outlook on several different computers, from several
> different locations ... they all generate the exact same error above ...
>
> Something I'm overlooking?  Problem with the versoin of Outlook itself,
> maybe?

Possibly.  It would be interesting to see the telemetry logs.  I suspect
that Outlook is doing something funky with idle, but assuming that it's
changed recently, we might also be doing something odd with idle in
Cyrus that's causing it to break.

If you are able to get telemetry logs (create a directory
$confdir/log/$user/ - i.e. /var/imap/log/brong in my case,
and make sure it's owned by your cyrus user) that would be
a great help.  Obviously remove any identifying data you're
worried about being public, and just send it to me if you
want.  I'd like to see what it's doing!

Thanks,

Bron.