Question about CYRUS-IMAP and FETCH BODY[]

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Mar 20 08:25:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 12:32 +0100, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
> > The library we're using is:
> > http://www.codeproject.com/KB/IP/imaplibrary.aspx
> Looking at the documentation it strikes me that there appears to be no way
> to actually list the contents of a mailbox. If those commands are really
> the only ones that exist, the only way to use it would appear to be a
> SearchMessage followed by a FetchMessage. If you don't do a SeachMessage,
> you have no way of knowing what you can fetch.

I tried the CodeProject IMAP code awhile back;  it was pretty bad.  If
you need to access IMAP from .NET [which, oddly, support seems lacking
for such a common protocol] the LumiSoft.NET library is much better and
works reliably (even on Mono).

<http://www.lumisoft.ee/forum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=3>
<http://www.lumisoft.ee/lsWWW/Download/Downloads/Net/Help/html/3a016d21-18f9-ba83-631f-05a1040fa345.htm>
<http://www.lumisoft.ee/lsWWW/Download/Downloads/Net/>

Unfortunately even the ongoing support of that assembly *feels* dodgy;
for one, it is pretty darn hard to find.  I'd strongly recommend
wrapping your IMAP server access is some class or interface so you can
replace the IMAP protocol provider without too much modification to your
app.
OpenGroupware developer: awilliam at whitemice.org
<http://whitemiceconsulting.blogspot.com/>
OpenGroupare & Cyrus IMAPd documenation @