murder and autocreate (I know it is not supported)

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Thu Jun 11 18:38:31 EDT 2009

At Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:38:31 -0400, Dave McMurtrie <dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
Subject: Re: murder and autocreate (I know it is not supported)

> What Ken is working on isn't specific to autocreate.  Rather, he's
> working to integrate IDM into our environment.  We need a way for our
> identity management system to be able to simply connect to a Cyrus
> frontend and issue a create command and have something useful happen.

I've never understood this idea of why anything that has anything to do
with user management should _ever_ have anything to do with mailbox
creation.

Mailboxes (i.e. the default first INBOX for every user) should always be
created _automatically_ as needed for every valid user.

The easiest way to do this is to trust the mail delivery system to have
already verified the existence of every authorized mail user.  This is
quite safe to do because if there is any reason you can't do so then
your mail system is broken, by definition, anyway.  (i.e. if your MTA
cannot be trusted to only accept and to deliver mail for valid users
then it will no doubt be generating backscatter and it will be abused by
those who do such dastardly things)

Why make everything far more complicated than it needs to be?
Especially things related to user management?

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>      Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>