Automatically moving marked mails?

Ian Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Mon Jul 13 05:51:59 EDT 2009

--On 9 July 2009 11:51:32 -0400 "Greg A. Woods" <woods-cyrus at weird.com>
wrote:

> At Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:46:42 +0100, Ian Eiloart <iane at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Automatically moving marked mails?
>>
>> There
>> probably aren't any SIEVE implementations that do what I suggest, and
>> the  implementations wouldn't be simple, but there's no principled
>> reason that  it shouldn't.
>
> Yes, I suppose something like Sieve could be used by an MTA, and it
> could be used in a per-recipient manner.  Personally I've found it best
> though to leave management of MTA level controls to system managers.

We let people create Exim filters at the MTA level, but they operate on
delivery not as messages are accepted. They don't have access to all the
functionality that a system filter does, but Exim filters have more
functionality than Sieve filters.

> However Sieve in the context of this mailing list is the one inside
> Cyrus IMAP, i.e. the local delivery agent, and it confusing it with
> anything that could happen beforehand in the MTA would be very wrong.
>
> I my very strong opinion the "reject" and "redirect" actions should not
> be a part of any valid Sieve implementation.

We don't like that much, either. However, I'd be happy to allow users to
reject specific senders (a) at SMTP time, or (b) in the event that a
positive SPF or DKIM match were found. I don't know of any Sieve
implementations that meet those conditions, though.

--
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex