Automatically moving marked mails?

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Thu Jul 9 11:51:32 EDT 2009

At Thu, 09 Jul 2009 15:46:42 +0100, Ian Eiloart <iane at sussex.ac.uk> wrote:
Subject: Re: Automatically moving marked mails?

> There
> probably aren't any SIEVE implementations that do what I suggest, and the
> implementations wouldn't be simple, but there's no principled reason that
> it shouldn't.

Yes, I suppose something like Sieve could be used by an MTA, and it
could be used in a per-recipient manner.  Personally I've found it best
though to leave management of MTA level controls to system managers.

However Sieve in the context of this mailing list is the one inside
Cyrus IMAP, i.e. the local delivery agent, and it confusing it with
anything that could happen beforehand in the MTA would be very wrong.

I my very strong opinion the "reject" and "redirect" actions should not
be a part of any valid Sieve implementation.  Luckily the RFC 5228
removed "reject" as a directly mentioned feature (leaving it only as an
optional extension).  They probably should have done the same to
"redirect", and it certainly should not be required to be implemented,
but luckily implementations are required to provide a means of limiting
the number of redirects a script can perform (as well as other required
controls).

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>