Automatically moving marked mails?

Greg A. Woods woods-cyrus at weird.com
Wed Jul 8 12:36:04 EDT 2009

At Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:58:37 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> wrote:
Subject: Re: Automatically moving marked mails?

> Because they are both about collaboration (communication) so users,
> correctly, put them in the same bucket conceptually.  And clients have
> been bundling this functionality for ages.

Well, OK, yes I integrate all these features in my editor for various
reasons, not all of which have to do with usability, but from a user's
point of view, at least on a platform with a complete and consistent
GUI, it really doesn't matter if they're separate applications or not
since it's just a bunch of different windows for the user anyway.

> A unified client makes sense because both mail and calendering require
> an address book.

Well, perhaps that would make sense to a really junior developer who
also doesn't understand that an address book application is also a
separate tool, and also one which perhaps is going to be using
centralized, and multiple separate, remote shared data sources.....  :-)

>  But the backends do not need to be so unified;

Exactly.  Thus the front-ends don't need to be unified either.

> No, iCAL doesn't support "full management of proper central calendars".
> CalDAV does, or GroupDAV.  Straight iCalendar is pretty useless as a
> groupware solution as you can only operate on a calendar and not just an
> event.

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I think you're confusing
protocols and applications.  I think you're also confusing how some of
these protocols, such as RFC 2445 iCalendar can be used.

Apple iCal is an application.  It can subscribe to remote calendars and
it can publish to a remote calendar in standard RFC 2445 format.  It can
also use CalDAV as a protocol to connect to a calendar server supporting
that protocol.

I agree though that iCal without using either CalDAV or e-mail to share
events is still not as advanced as it could be when it comes to managing
remote calendars that could be shared.  However with CalDAV the use of
e-mail to share events can mostly be avoided (except of course for those
who somehow cannot use an RFC2445 or RFC47921 server but can use e-mail).

> Lightning and Sunbird are identical.

No, they're not (though their shared functionality may be close to
identical).  One is an integrated app bundle, the other is more
stand-alone.

--
						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                VE3TCP          RoboHack <woods at robohack.ca>