Automatically moving marked mails?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue Jul 7 09:57:23 EDT 2009

Greg A. Woods wrote, at 07/06/2009 05:42 PM:

> Personally I'd suggest Mac OSX and Apple Mail as a first cut for anyone
> who wants an easy-to-manage and easy-to-use, and half-decent MUA.
>
> It doesn't do everything I want to do as a hyper-experienced e-mail
> user, nor is it apparently easy to write proper extensions for, but it
> certainly does cover all the main requirements the average user has.

I disagree. Apple Mail has some fundamental usability issues that need
to be addressed. Every time I try it out, I can't get past the fact that
there's no easy way to step through all unread messages in a mailbox.
How do people quickly read new mail with Apple Mail?

> Equally I'm sure Thunderbird works well for many people too.

This is currently my preferred client, although it has its own flaws.
However, it has some of the best thread handling and allows me to move
to the next unread message with a single keypress: 'n'. The message
filters are also pretty nice, if you don't have access to server-side
filtering. Finally, its support for multiple accounts seems to be
superior to any other client I've tested.

> After all these years I still fail to see what e-mail and calendar
> keeping have to do with each other.  It's lunacy to put them in the same
> tool.  Use the right tool for the job.

Agreed. It's bizarre that this is exactly what gets people addicted to
Exchange, when separate protocols offer more flexibility and
opportunities for improved integration. I find Outlook/Exchange
calendaring to be incredibly underfeatured, yet it's wrapped up in a
tidy package with email, so people feel like they're killing two birds
with one stone.

> Yes, doing scheduling and calendar maintenance requires communicating
> between multiple parties, but e-mail is _not_ the right tool for this
> kind of communications!

Well, it can be, but so can IRC, IM, SMS, etc.