Automatically moving marked mails?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jul 7 08:58:37 EDT 2009

> > For an integrated email and calendar tool?
> After all these years I still fail to see what e-mail and calendar
> keeping have to do with each other.  It's lunacy to put them in the same
> tool.  Use the right tool for the job.

Because they are both about collaboration (communication) so users,
correctly, put them in the same bucket conceptually.  And clients have
been bundling this functionality for ages.

> Yes, doing scheduling and calendar maintenance requires communicating
> between multiple parties, but e-mail is _not_ the right tool for this
> kind of communications!
> Personally I'm still a big fan of centralization wherever it makes
> sense, and it especially makes sense when the model one is using to
> design an implement solutions to a given problem requires shared access
> to unified data.

A unified client makes sense because both mail and calendering require
an address book.  But the backends do not need to be so unified;
OpenGroupware [for example] delegates mail to IMAP/SMTP (Cyrus/any-MTA)
just about everything else is managed over GroupDAV/CalDAV/CardDAV
(HTTP) or some combination.  And vCards/vEvents/vToDos typically use
e-mail addresses as the identifiers of contacts/participants/executors.
This is a pretty typically arrangement.

> Perhaps Google Apps calendaring is the right tool for some folks.
> Perhaps Apple OSX iCal works well enough (and for those who insist on
> using e-mail to communicate calendaring information, well it just so
> happens that iCal does integrate with your mail reader to send and
> receive notifications and facilitates some basic ability to "share"
> events, but of course iCal also supports full management of proper
> central calendars too, as well as read-only subscriptions to centrally
> maintained calendars, etc.).

No, iCAL doesn't support "full management of proper central calendars".
CalDAV does, or GroupDAV.  Straight iCalendar is pretty useless as a
groupware solution as you can only operate on a calendar and not just an
event.

> Perhaps Mozilla's answers to calendar management would work for many
> folks too.  Mozilla even cater to those who can't seem to separate
> calendar management from e-mail in their minds with Lightning, but
> personally I'd stick with Sunbird if I were to use Mozilla's tools.

Lightning and Sunbird are identical.