Automatically moving marked mails?

julian at precisium.com julian at precisium.com
Wed Jul 1 17:26:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 18:48:41 -0000, Greg A. Woods <woods-cyrus at weird.com>
wrote:

> At Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:35:15 +0200, Garry <garry at glendown.de> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Automatically moving marked mails?
>>
>> The point is not when decent MUAs are used, like Thunderbird, but rather
>> crap like Outlook ... which is unable to do a decent, logical handling
>> of deleted mails... ;)
>
> Decent MUAs are _always_ "available", at least to some extent.
>
> People who won't choose to use decent software when it is available and
> instead insist upon using broken crapware _must_ learn that they are on
> their own -- they are unsupported, they get no sympathy.

In the present commercial environment - they are more likely to "learn"
(with the not so subtle help of certain consultants),
that their MUA works perfectly well with an Exchange server - and that
their current server provider is probably using some dodgy free system...
so the client should change email providers. It's not always easy to
counter that sort of thing. Switching to thunderbird is likely to be a
harder change for some departments or companies than changing service
providers. (especially if they have existing business processes or
integration with other office products etc)

It can hardly be accidental that Microsoft's flagship email clients don't
quite interoperate nicely with standards based IMAP servers.
Seems to me it's a driver towards sales of Exchange server services.

I don't know what the primary goals of the Cyrus developers are - but I
can only assume that serving their existing userbases as best possible and
faithfully supporting open standards, are of more importance than gaining
market share relative to proprietary server products. Perhaps there is
even an element of fighting this by trying to aid in driving customers
towards using an open source MUA.

That would be fair enough I think.. but I understand why it would be
frustrating to those who are in some way competing with providers who use
Exchange.
Perhaps if Cyrus were to adapt to too many Microsoft peculiarities..
Microsoft would end up driving the nature of the MUA-server relationship
overall.  Personally I agree it would be nice if Cyrus would do something
to compensate for the deletion issue - but I can understand if there is a
reluctance on the part of the developers to do this.

Julian