Automatically moving marked mails?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Jul 1 19:46:00 EDT 2009

julian at precisium.com wrote, at 07/01/2009 05:26 PM:

> Personally I agree it would be nice if Cyrus would do something
> to compensate for the deletion issue - but I can understand if there is a
> reluctance on the part of the developers to do this.

This issue involves the IMAP protocol and is not specific to Cyrus. The
only meaningfully defined special mailbox is INBOX. It would be
disastrous for Cyrus to change deletion behaviour by moving "deleted"
mail to some arbitrarily named mailbox. What name should it use? One
that pleases users of Outlook? Thunderbird? Some random webmail
application? Until the IMAP protocol is updated or replaced, delete &
expunge is a fact of life.

It's true that the concept of delete/expunge is difficult for many new
users to grasp. In my experience, the worst consequence is when users
who delete but never expunge exceed quota and don't know why because
deleted messages are hidden from view. A visual indicator (such as a
strike-through, symbol, special color) is far more preferable, as it at
least makes the problem evident. I agree that the whole process borders
on the ridiculous, but that's a problem with IMAP, not Cyrus (and most
users would probably clamour for similar functionality if the behaviour
was removed).

In any case, users expect to control this in the MUA, so it's probably
best to keep it out of the server.