Automatically moving marked mails?

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Jul 1 17:04:05 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 14:48 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:35:15 +0200, Garry <garry at glendown.de> wrote:
> Subject: Re: Automatically moving marked mails?
> > The point is not when decent MUAs are used, like Thunderbird, but rather
> > crap like Outlook ... which is unable to do a decent, logical handling
> > of deleted mails... ;)
> Decent MUAs are _always_ "available", at least to some extent.
> People who won't choose to use decent software when it is available and
> instead insist upon using broken crapware _must_ learn that they are on
> their own -- they are unsupported, they get no sympathy.

Agree.  Although I find TB's handling of deleted mail at least
equivalently retarded as Outlook.  Neither has a @*&^&$* key binding for
expunge!  In general IMAP in recent ($version>=2003) versions of Outlook
works very well.

> In this case though I'm not sure what the problem is (at least based
> upon this one feature -- groupware might be broken in other ways).
> > Problem is, $customer is using a groupware which - when using IMAP -
> > will display deleted or moved mails as struck-through mails, which will
> > no doubt confuse certain users ... therefore, it would be nice if Cyrus
> > could be convinced to have a special delted-mails handling ... as it is
> > close to impossible to change Outlook's handling ...
> Actually that's the desired way for an IMAP client to work!  (and the
> majority of the good ones I'm aware of do work that way where possible,
> though sadly not two of the ones I'm using at the moment)

Ditto.

> What could possibly be confusing about a summary index entry showing a
> message using a struck-through font face?  It should be self-evident to
> anyone with a gram of experience using any modern decent graphical
> computer user interface that the message has been marked as deleted.

Agree.

> Some MUAs which operate in this correct manner do confuse users
> sometimes by not handling the somewhat "un-natural" expunge operation
> automatically.  However I find it's very easy to teach users about this

Yes,  throw-in-the-trash vs. taking-out-the-trash.  Users grasp the
difference very quickly.  And I've had some dim ones...

> extra step by simply explaining to them that it gives them slightly more
> control over when they choose to release these marked messages from the
> the most immediate level of "undo" (or all possibility of undo if the
> MUA doesn't support the "move to trash" feature).

And with delayed-expunge they can call up the help-desk and even get
back messages they accidentally expunged.  Cyrus is awesome.