Doing Cyrus *right* for a large installation

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at ugent.be
Fri Jan 16 10:17:23 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:08:24PM -0800, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> > Fulls take a lot longer, but I can't give you any time estimates now.
>
> Our incrementals take about 2 hours (both backends are done at the same
> time).  Our fulls take an entire day, but we only do fulls once a month.
> I'm hoping that using smaller partitions will let us do backups in shorter
> times, assuming we stay with tape-backups.

In the past we did the backups in two shifts on the mailstores: shift 1
a-k, shift2 l-z (e.g.)

And did them in parallel.

> > For the moment we don't backup the replica's.  Nor use them.  But we
> > could do it.
>
> So you are using Cyrus Murder with replication?  How does that work?

No we don't have murder running (yet)

I am not confident enough in the setup.  I have seen to many bad
messages on the list.

But I haven't set it up yet, so I may be 'scared' for nothing.

> > We are 'planning' a storage migration too the coming months.
>
> I'm curious what storage hardware you are exploring.  What are you using
> now for your 7 backends?

we have 1 cx400 and 1 cx500 now.

I think we are looking at something from IBM, but I'm not sure, that is
not 'my departement'.

We also have a lot of NetApp but we are not satisfied with it.  Are
primary plan was to migrate to the NetApp but now we aren't going to.

Btw for backup we use Veritas Netbackup

Best whishes,
Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur  Direction ICT, Infrastructure dept.
Groep Systemen                     Systems group
Universiteit Gent                  Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be