List to Spam Harvest

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Feb 27 13:46:00 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 10:03 -0800, David Lang wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2009, John Thomas wrote:
> > I know little, so please forgive if this is wrong.
> > The following link seems to be crawled by Google and exposes our email
> > addresses to spam harvesters.  I wonder if it makes sense and is
> > possible to not do this or obfuscate the addresses?
> > http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/archive/mailbox.php?mailbox=archive.info-cyrus
> if you send mail to a public mailing list it can be harvested by spammers.

Ugh, please no more obfustication than already [foolishly] exists.  It
does not work and defeats the very point of e-mail (facilitating
communication).

I'm posting this message as adam at morrison-ind.com,  although I
frequently use awilliam at whitemice.org and
awilliam at whitemiceconsulting.com as well.   And posting these here in
plain text unobfusticated will have no measurable effect on the amount
of SPAM I receive.   I've been using these addresses for years [a
decade?] go ahead and google them;  if someone is harvesting they've
certainly picked them up already - and the amount of SPAM I receive is
very manageable.