Issues with user.sub files - subscription files hangs system.

Adam D emlists at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 12:25:00 EDT 2008

Jens wrote:
> Adam D schrieb:
>
>> Adam D wrote:
>>
>>> I have noticed this error in the log:
>>> Sep 12 18:57:44 vts-post cyrus/imap[19629]: IOERROR: locking
>>> /var/lib/cyrus/domain/W/domain1/user/A/userbox.sub: Interrupted system call
>>>
>>> Soon afterwards I notice imapd runs at 99.8 % and I can not kill the
>>> process.  It looks like the file is locked and can't be written to?  I
>>> saw another file called userbox.sub.NEW but even that files can't be
>>> read.  When I attempt the terminal freezes.  I also noticed the system
>>> can't be rebooted as well.  I don't know what could be causing this.
>>> Does anyone have any incite?
>>>
> [...]
>
>> We are using Ubuntu 8.04 on this particular amd 64 box running virtually
>> within xen.
>>

> I had the same problem with Ubuntu 7.10 running in VMWare. I was not
> able to fix it. My solution was a system-upgrade to 8.04. The problem
> disappeared. I just hope it does not appear again. Some other users
> discovered the same problem and were able to solve it with an upgrade, too.
>
> Sorry not to help you,
> Jens

I thought about that last night as well and we are having the same issue
with a system using Ubuntu 7.10.  I did noticed though 7.04, 7.10, 8.04
are all using 2.2.13 but different patches. 7.10 uses the 2.2.13-11
while 8.10 uses the 2.2.13-13.  I am thinking of trying 8.10 to see if
it works.. if not.. sadly I am wondering if we will have to move the
system over to a full Debian stable/testing?  I would not be happy to
build a Debian testing system to find out we have the same issue.  Would
this be a Ubuntu related issue with their patches?  Has anyone else have
had the same issue without using Ubuntu?

-Adam