Issues with user.sub files - subscription files hangs system.

Adam D emlists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 09:16:06 EDT 2008

Adam D wrote:
> Jens wrote:
>
>> Adam D schrieb:

>> [...]
>>

>>> We are using Ubuntu 8.04 on this particular amd 64 box running virtually
>>> within xen.
>>>

>> I had the same problem with Ubuntu 7.10 running in VMWare. I was not
>> able to fix it. My solution was a system-upgrade to 8.04. The problem
>> disappeared. I just hope it does not appear again. Some other users
>> discovered the same problem and were able to solve it with an upgrade, too.
>>
>> Sorry not to help you,
>> Jens
>>

> I thought about that last night as well and we are having the same issue
> with a system using Ubuntu 7.10.  I did noticed though 7.04, 7.10, 8.04
> are all using 2.2.13 but different patches. 7.10 uses the 2.2.13-11
> while 8.10 uses the 2.2.13-13.  I am thinking of trying 8.10 to see if
> it works.. if not.. sadly I am wondering if we will have to move the
> system over to a full Debian stable/testing?  I would not be happy to
> build a Debian testing system to find out we have the same issue.  Would
> this be a Ubuntu related issue with their patches?  Has anyone else have
> had the same issue without using Ubuntu?
>
> -Adam
> --

OK.  I have tried everything I know.  I have converted the user.sub file
from flat file to skiplist and it still gives me the same issue.  I have
also created a new test install of Debian stable with just the same
setup but using 2.2.13-10 and everything is the same.  When I am using
cyradm in the command line even loged in to the user accout and
subscribe to a folder I just created, I again get:

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND
 3489 cyrus     25   0 81212 3968 3116 R 99.9  1.3   4:39.88
imapd

I have converted everything over to skiplist even quota to make sure and
as far as I am sure it is not related to that.  My
/usr/lib/cyrus/cyrus-db-types.active reads:

ANNOTATION skiplist
DBENGINE BerkeleyDB4.2
DUPLICATE skiplist
MBOX skiplist
PTS berkeley
QUOTA quotalegacy
SEEN skiplist
SUBS skiplist
TLS skiplist

My cyrus.conf file reads as:
START {
        # do not delete this entry!
        recover         cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb -r"

        # this is only necessary if idlemethod is set to "idled" in
imapd.conf
        #idled          cmd="idled"

        # this is useful on backend nodes of a Murder cluster
        # it causes the backend to syncronize its mailbox list with
        # the mupdate master upon startup
        #mupdatepush   cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_mboxlist -m"

        # this is recommended if using duplicate delivery suppression
        delprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/cyr_expire -E 3"
        # this is recommended if caching TLS sessions
        tlsprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/tls_prune"
}
SERVICES {
        # --- Normal cyrus spool, or Murder backends ---
        # add or remove based on preferences
        imap            cmd="imapd -U 30" listen="imap" prefork=0
maxchild=100
        imaps           cmd="imapd -s -U 30" listen="imaps" prefork=0
maxchild=100
        #pop3           cmd="pop3d -U 30" listen="pop3" prefork=0
maxchild=50
        #pop3s          cmd="pop3d -s -U 30" listen="pop3s" prefork=0
maxchild=50
        #nntp           cmd="nntpd -U 30" listen="nntp" prefork=0
maxchild=100
        #nntps          cmd="nntpd -s -U 30" listen="nntps" prefork=0
maxchild=100

        # At least one form of LMTP is required for delivery
        # (you must keep the Unix socket name in sync with imap.conf)
        #lmtp           cmd="lmtpd" listen="localhost:lmtp" prefork=0
maxchild=20
        lmtpunix        cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp"
prefork=0 maxchild=20
        # ----------------------------------------------

        # useful if you need to give users remote access to sieve
        # by default, we limit this to localhost in Debian
        sieve           cmd="timsieved" listen="localhost:sieve"
prefork=0 maxchild=100
        # this one is needed for the notification services
        notify          cmd="notifyd"
listen="/var/run/cyrus/socket/notify" proto="udp" prefork=1

}

EVENTS {
        # this is required
        checkpoint      cmd="/usr/sbin/ctl_cyrusdb -c" period=30

        # this is only necessary if using duplicate delivery suppression
        delprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/cyr_expire -E 3" at=0401

        # this is only necessary if caching TLS sessions
        tlsprune        cmd="/usr/sbin/tls_prune" at=0401

        # indexing of mailboxs for server side fulltext searches

        # reindex changed mailboxes (fulltext) approximately every other
hour
        squatter_1      cmd="/usr/bin/nice -n 19 /usr/sbin/squatter -s"
period=120

        # reindex all mailboxes (fulltext) daily
        squatter_a      cmd="/usr/sbin/squatter" at=0517
}

My imap.conf reads:
configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus/mail
partition-news: /var/spool/cyrus/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
altnamespace: no
unixhierarchysep: yes
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes
admins: cyrus
imap_admins: cyrus
sieve_admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
autocreatequota: 0
umask: 077
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
allowplaintext: yes
allowapop: no
loginrealms: @domain1.tld @domain2.tld
virtdomains: userid
defaultdomain: domain1.tld
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_auto_transition: no
tls_ca_path: /etc/ssl/certs
tls_session_timeout: 1440
lmtpsocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
idlemethod: poll
idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle
notifysocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/notify
syslog_prefix: cyrus
# Extras
allowusermoves: 1
defaultacl: anyone lrs
userprefix: user
servername:  domain1.tld

# Hashing (mailbox storing)
fulldirhash: true

createonpost: yes
autocreateinboxfolders:  "Drafts|Sent|Templates|Trash|Junk Mail"
autosubscribeinboxfolders: "Drafts|Sent|Templates|Trash|Junk Mail"

singleinstancestore:  1
allowallsubscribe:    1

# Sieve
anysievefolder:  yes
autosievefolders: Drafts|Sent|Templates|JunkMail
##autocreate_sieve_script: /var/spool/sieve/default-scripts
##autocreate_sieve_compiledscript:
##generate_compiled_sieve_script:  true
sieve_extensions: fileinto, reject, vacation, imapflags, notify,
include, envelope, body, relational,
 regex, subaddress, copy
sieve_maxscriptsize: 75
sieve_maxscripts: 100

# File formats
annotation_db:        skiplist
duplicate_db:         skiplist
# mboxkey_db:           skiplist
# ptscache_db           skiplist
mboxlist_db:          skiplist
seenstate_db:         skiplist
tlscache_db:          skiplist
subscription_db:      skiplist

# DB tuning
#berkeley_cachesize: 10240
#berkeley_locks_max: 5000
#berkeley_txns_max: 1000

#softfail if over quota
lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure: 0

quotawarn: 90
duplicatesuppression: 1

I am totally at a lose and have exhausted everything I know and have
read, researched.  I even bought the book of IMAP which is a very good
read by the way.

Thanks in advanced.

-Adam