IMAP account used for multiple users

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Mon Oct 13 14:46:11 EDT 2008

Jason Voorhees wrote, at 10/13/2008 01:58 PM:

> A simple question:
> Is there any kind of problem if a unique IMAP account is used by more
> than one client at the same time?

It can be done...

> I'm thinking to give access to all my users (up to 90 users) trough MS
> Outlook to a unique IMAP account.

...but not with Outlook.

I should be fair, and state that any special features of any client can
cause problems, along with the issues that simply come from everyone
playing in the same sandbox. For example, all it takes is one user to
set aggressive (or use poorly trained) junk filtering to wreak a bit of
havoc for everyone. Nonetheless, Cyrus does allow concurrent read/write
access, which is handy for users that access webmail while leaving
desktop clients running.

The extra burden with Outlook comes from its monolothic approach that
allows email to trigger a variety of events. When I evaluated sharing an
account with Outlook 2007, it didn't seem wise due to the ease with
which another user can affect your todo list, calendar, and god knows
what else. Outlook is really a personal organizer, and should be kept
personal, IMHO.

> I don't plan to use suscribed folders instead for simplicity reasons.

A broadcast alias or mailing list is often better. Or go with a
full-blown issue tracker, if that's what you're really trying to do.