IMAP account used for multiple users

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Mon Oct 13 14:26:10 EDT 2008

--On Monday, October 13, 2008 12:58 -0500 Jason Voorhees
<jvoorhees1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> A simple question:
> Is there any kind of problem if a unique IMAP account is used by more
> than one client at the same time?
> I'm thinking to give access to all my users (up to 90 users) trough MS
> Outlook to a unique IMAP account.

I hope you mean that they would each log in with their own account,
and share the same folder.  That should work.

If not, various problems might arise.  Off the top of my head:

-- Anybody could delete and expunge, or, nobody can.

-- They can't keep track of what messages each person has seen.

-- Somebody might POP the mailbox and remove everything.

Joseph Brennan