not arriving emails, duplicate suppression, message-id

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Nov 19 10:23:16 EST 2008

> Dear list,
>
> Today I got a support ticket claiming that some mail was not arriving in
> a persons mailbox.
>
> Sure enough when I went trough all our postfix and cyrus logs I could
> see that the email was certainly delivered to our mail store.
>
> It was the duplicate delivery that eliminated duplicate message.
>
> When I grepped in the mailbox after that message id I could find an
> other totally different message with the same id.
>
> The only thing that both message had in common was that they were both
> created with Microsoft Outlook 12 and 11.
>
> I thought that the message-id should be unique.

Outlook is broken, it sends new mails with existing message-id under
certain circumstances (for example when resending an already sent mail to
other receivers). Microsoft has fixed this - in their MTA on exchange! No
joke, when sending mail from Outlook to Exchange via SMTP the Exchange
server will always regenerate a uniq message-id.
I don't have a fix, only an explanation.

Simon