not arriving emails, duplicate suppression, message-id

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Wed Nov 19 09:53:23 EST 2008

Dear list,

Today I got a support ticket claiming that some mail was not arriving in
a persons mailbox.

Sure enough when I went trough all our postfix and cyrus logs I could
see that the email was certainly delivered to our mail store.

It was the duplicate delivery that eliminated duplicate message.

When I grepped in the mailbox after that message id I could find an
other totally different message with the same id.

The only thing that both message had in common was that they were both
created with Microsoft Outlook 12 and 11.

I thought that the message-id should be unique.

Has any body seen this before?

I couldn't find any info on the net how it is generated by Outlook.
Maybe it is a setting that can be changed?

Thanks in advance,

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be