Server Hardware Upgrade

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Fri Jan 25 13:58:24 EST 2008

Ühel kenal päeval (reede, 25. jaanuar 2008 18:11) kirjutas Antu:

> Can some one give the procedure to move the mailstore from old server to
> new server, and do have any limitation to upgrade the Hardware and OS.

I am just in the middle of a similar procedure right now, although I have a
single-server setup. I have never used or investigated murder or any other
way to run a multi-server Cyrus setup, so I don't know how this affects the
procedure.

I assume you'll be running the same version of Cyrus on the new server. If
not, you should check the upgrading docs about possible database format
incompatibilities (bdb vs skiplist). I'll also assume that your Cyrus
directories are in default locations.

With single server, things are fairly easy.

Install Cyrus on a new server as usual. Create the /var/imap directory with
permissions set as specified in the docs (cyrus:cyrus, mode 750)

On old server, tar up the directories /var/imap/user, /var/imap/quota
and /var/imap/sieve. Also, tar up the directory containing your user
mailboxes -  /var/spool/imap. Transfer these archives to new server and
expand them in their default locations.

Copy over the mailboxes.db file from old server to new server

On new server, run mkimap as explained in the documentation. This creates all
the other necessary subdirectories and files in /var/imap.

Of course you also need to think about how your users authenticate to the
service. In my case this is done simply by sasldb database, so for me it was
as easy as copying the sasldb file from old server to new. OK , actually it
was not *that* simple - since my old and new servers use different bdb
libraries, I used db_dump to dump the sasldb database on old server and
db_load to reload it on the new server. But still straightforward enough.

That was basically all. I started the service on the new server and everything
worked. I also ran 'reconstruct -f' and 'quota -f' just in case.

--
Toomas