Non-ASCII chars in MAIL FROM envelope

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Feb 13 05:25:16 EST 2008

--On 13. Februar 2008 09:50:58 +0100 Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>
wrote:

>> See http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2008-01/1321.html
>
> Yes, but that will block possibly valid mail. Of course I don't accept
> mail with non-ASCII RCPT TO addresses because Cyrus doesn't allow it, but
> I should accept non-ASCII MAIL FROM addresses if they are valid. But Cyrus
> also refuses them. That's the real problem.

Isn't that controlled by reject8bit and munge8bit?

       munge8bit: 1
            If enabled, lmtpd munges messages with  8-bit  characters  in
the
            headers.   The 8-bit characters are changed to ‘X’.  If
reject8bit
            is enabled, setting munge8bit has no effect.  (A  proper
solution
            to  non-ASCII characters in headers is offered by RFC 2047 and
its
            predecessors.)

       reject8bit: 0
            If enabled, lmtpd rejects messages with 8-bit  characters  in
the
            headers.
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK