Non-ASCII chars in MAIL FROM envelope

Alexey Lobanov A.Lobanov at cro-rct.ru
Wed Feb 13 04:47:36 EST 2008

Hello.

13.02.2008 11:50, Simon Matter пишет:

>> Hello.
>>
>> See http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2008-01/1321.html
>
> Yes, but that will block possibly valid mail. Of course I don't accept
> mail with non-ASCII RCPT TO addresses because Cyrus doesn't allow it, but
> I should accept non-ASCII MAIL FROM addresses if they are valid.

In my understanding, "non-ASCII MAIL FROM addresses" may not be valid at
all, by basic mail RFCs. Note that I live in a very non-ASCII
environment :-) and receive a lot of legitimate mail with Cyrillic
realnames and subjects. It is seen properly if Sender's MUA respects RFC
1342 "Representation of Non-ASCII Text in Internet Message Headers" or
is converted to XXXXX by Cyrus if the MUA is dumb.

> But Cyrus
> also refuses them. That's the real problem.

I have asked this question in Postfix maillist because I got some spam
with non-ascii symbols in envelope-from. And I confirm that the recipe
works exactly as desired and does not affect any legitimate mail with
Russian sender names or subjects.

Are you sure that your problem differs from my one?

Alexey