Non-ASCII chars in MAIL FROM envelope

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Wed Feb 13 05:40:03 EST 2008

> --On 13. Februar 2008 09:50:58 +0100 Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>
> wrote:
>
>>> See http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2008-01/1321.html
>>
>> Yes, but that will block possibly valid mail. Of course I don't accept
>> mail with non-ASCII RCPT TO addresses because Cyrus doesn't allow it,
>> but
>> I should accept non-ASCII MAIL FROM addresses if they are valid. But
>> Cyrus
>> also refuses them. That's the real problem.
>
> Isn't that controlled by reject8bit and munge8bit?

Unfortunately no. I have munge8bit enabled which means for example german
umlauts are converted to 'X'. But that doesn't affect envelope MAIL FROM
addresses. cyrus lmtp simply rejects those mails.
That's exactly my question, should cyrus lmtp be more liberal with sender
envelope addresses (it can be strict with RCPT TO of course)?

Simon