migrate to virtual domains

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 05:58:31 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Peter Lokus <mailist at sokol-web.de> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I using cyrus imap for two domains without virtual domains.
> Say, my folder structure look like
>
> /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/user1        domain: example.net
> /var/spool/cyrus/mail/user/user2        domain: example.com
>
> Every user has its own folders under the INBOX.
>
> In order to enhance the administration and migrate new domains easier I want
> to switch to virtual domains. It should look like
>
> /var/spool/cyrus/mail/domain/example.net/user/user1
> /var/spool/cyrus/mail/domain/example.com/user/user2
>
> How do I move the user folders' to the new folder structure?
> My approach was to copy these folder's to the new  folder structure and run
> reconstruct. However, I can see only mails in the INBOX.

If I had to do it myself : (it could be uncomplete, sorry)

- first in imapd.conf set 'virtdomains' to what you want,
- create new user1 at example.net and user2 at example.com
- try to login as user1, user2, user1 at example.net and user2 at example.com,
check that the first have a not empty mailbox and the last have an empty  one.
- Use "imapsync" to copy all the emails from user1 to user1 at example.net,
continue with all your other user.
- update your SMTP configuration to deliver to user1 at example.net
instead of user1

Be carefiull to have enough spece to do all you user at once, or do it
one by one, removing old user

Hope this help

> Any recommendations?
>
> Peter