Subject problem [munge8bit option provided by patch]

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Apr 4 10:42:50 EDT 2008

Quoting Nikos Gatsis <ngatsis at qbit.gr>:

> Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> --On Thursday, April 3, 2008 17:26 +0300 Nikos Gatsis

>>> It means the Subject had 8-bit characters, not encoded.  The sender's
>>> email program should be encoding them.  The header portion of mail
>>> is required to be 7-bit only.
>>>

>> There are available patches that can "fix" the behavior:
>>
>> <quote src="/etc/imapd.conf on debian">
>> # Munging illegal characters in headers
>> # Headers of RFC2882 messages must not have characters with the 8th bit
>> # set. However, too many badly-written MUAs generate this, including most
>> # spamware. If you kept reject8bit disabled, you can choose to leave the
>> # crappage untouched by disabling this (if you don't care that IMAP SEARCH
>> # won't work right anymore.
>> munge8bit: no
>> </quote>
>>

> I have found this option and works fine now.
> This problem appears when I send a form from my webpage with php. I
> have set Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit but with no luck.
> Any help?
>
> Thank you all

It's not the content but the subject-header which needs to be encoded
in your case.

An Example

Subject: Test mit Umlauten ÄÜÖ äüö
has to be send as
Subject: Test mit Umlauten =?iso-8859-1?b?xNzWIA==?= =?iso-8859-1?b?5Pz2?=

> --
> *?????? ????? - Gatsis Nikos*
> Web developer
> tel.: 2108256721 - 2108256722
> fax: 2108256712
> email: ngatsis at qbit.gr
> http://www.qbit.gr

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen