Subject problem [munge8bit option provided by patch]

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Fri Apr 4 10:19:59 EDT 2008

Nikos Gatsis <ngatsis at qbit.gr> wrote:

> Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>
>     Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:
>

>         --On Thursday, April 3, 2008 17:26 +0300 Nikos Gatsis <ngatsis at qbit.gr>
>         wrote:
>

>             I'm facing a strange problem.
>             Every message I receive with Greek characters in subject cyrus
>             "translate" them to XXXXX...
>
>             Does somebody know what's going on?
>

>         It means the Subject had 8-bit characters, not encoded.  The sender's
>         email program should be encoding them.  The header portion of mail
>         is required to be 7-bit only.
>

>     There are available patches that can "fix" the behavior:
>
>     <quote src="/etc/imapd.conf on debian">
>     # Munging illegal characters in headers
>     # Headers of RFC2882 messages must not have characters with the 8th bit
>     # set. However, too many badly-written MUAs generate this, including most
>     # spamware. If you kept reject8bit disabled, you can choose to leave the
>     # crappage untouched by disabling this (if you don't care that IMAP SEARCH
>     # won't work right anymore.
>     munge8bit: no
>     </quote>
>

> I have found this option and works fine now.
> This problem appears when I send a form from my webpage with php. I have set
> Any help?

Cyrus IMAP complains about chars outside 0-127 range (chars from 128-255 range).
Cyrus has no idea which charset should be used to represent them.
[ e.g. Koi (russian), ISO-8859-2 (central european), ... ]

You sending php script should properly encode headers to explicitly
declare charset used in every header. How to do it easily in PHP is a
PHP question, not a Cyrus-IMAP question  :-)

--
[pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi at priv.onet.pl : anfi at xl.wp.pl
Open-Sendmail: http://open-sendmail.sourceforge.net/