Apply Sieve script to messages already in INBOX?

Alexandros Vellis avel at noc.uoa.gr
Thu Sep 27 06:59:11 EDT 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:40:37 +1000
"Rob Mueller" <robm at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I had a very brief talk with Ken about this ages back, about creating
> a non-standard extension to IMAP that would allow you to "run" a
> sieve script against a bunch of messages in a mailbox

This is pretty close and ... standard:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-sieve-03.txt

What is missing in there, I think, is a standard way of on-demand
invocation of Sieve scripts, and options for test runs.

Your other option, of course, is to implement this in the client.

[I have been dreaming of exporting avelsieve filters to Squirrelmail's
client filters scheme, so as to apply the former in the client.  [It is
also possible to do another client-side integration with Sieve filter
expressions and IMAP search expressions, so as to see which messages
apply to a specific filter, and do further work with these messages.
[The possibilities are endless, really...]]]

Alexandros

--
Alexandros Vellis
National & Kapodistrian University of Athens