Apply Sieve script to messages already in INBOX?

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 25 21:40:37 EDT 2007

> A kludgy solution... what about fetchmail to pull the INBOX contents
> and resubmit the messages to deliver?

Be careful of duplicate delivery suppression!

I had a very brief talk with Ken about this ages back, about creating a
non-standard extension to IMAP that would allow you to "run" a sieve script
against a bunch of messages in a mailbox, and either perform the action, or
return an "action response" string back for each message. My thinking is I'd
love to add to our web interface a way to say either "run sieve on selected
messages" or "show actions on selected messages". For the second, it would
basically "group by" the list of returned actions, and let you use a
checkbox to decide which ones to actually do. More complex, but more
powerful to.

In theory it shouldn't be *too* hard, since the sieve bytecode interpreter
allows you to specify exactly what callback you want to run for each sieve
action, so you could  embed it in imapd and setup the appropriate callbacks
to do the actions or return the appropriate string responses. Still, it's at
least a couple of weeks of programming work, and since it's completely
non-standard, I doubt it would make it back into the CVS code base.

Rob