Quick Utilities for getting into user mail file

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 12:07:14 EDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Rick Kunkel <kunkel at w-link.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Having recently moved away from mbox format, I'm at a bit of a loss
> dealing with seemingly trivial issues...
>
> Using mbox, I could become root on the server, and run
>
>    "mail -u <username>"
>
> to view the user's mail in a quick and dirty fashion.  This is handy, for
> instance, when the user has 20,000 emails, and wants you to get rid of
> certain ones.
>
> Currently, I'm modifying a pinerc file and running PC-Pine to do this if
> necessary.  Are there any other tools available for this kind of quick and
> dirty mailbox manipulation?  Modifying config files on a per-user basis is
> kind of a pain,

You can write a script that will generate the config file for you
withe the login
you gave.

>and running webmail can be slow with huge mailboxes.

Ha, you found the best solution yourself :-)
No, squirrelmail is not slow, it works fine for mailbox with mailbox
having 10,000 mails.
I used it to remove 10.000 in a mailbox. Yes it take 1min to select
all the email
and 1min more to remove them all. But this is 10.000 emails.

> Also, a related question:  If a user has (again) 20,000 emails, and tell
> you they want to get rid of messages 1 through 18,994, can I just delete
> those files in mail dir, or is that gonna mess cyrus indexing up?

You can modify the filesystem yourself, but you have to run "reconstruct"
on the mailbow before to access the mailbox again.

> Thanks,
>
> Rick Kunkel
> ----

Alain Spineux