Quick Utilities for getting into user mail file

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Wed Sep 19 11:17:48 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Having recently moved away from mbox format, I'm at a bit of a loss
dealing with seemingly trivial issues...

Using mbox, I could become root on the server, and run

   "mail -u <username>"

to view the user's mail in a quick and dirty fashion.  This is handy, for
instance, when the user has 20,000 emails, and wants you to get rid of
certain ones.

Currently, I'm modifying a pinerc file and running PC-Pine to do this if
necessary.  Are there any other tools available for this kind of quick and
dirty mailbox manipulation?  Modifying config files on a per-user basis is
kind of a pain, and running webmail can be slow with huge mailboxes.

Also, a related question:  If a user has (again) 20,000 emails, and tell
you they want to get rid of messages 1 through 18,994, can I just delete
those files in mail dir, or is that gonna mess cyrus indexing up?

Thanks,

Rick Kunkel