Slower after migration from 2.1 to 2.2

Scott M. Likens damm at yazzy.org
Thu Sep 20 13:02:56 EDT 2007

Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> Scott M. Likens schreef:
>
>> Paul,
>>
>> Which Mail Client is your user using?
>>

> Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (Dutch Windows version),

Looks fine, except when changing folders it logs in again... so if
there's a plaintextdelay defined in /etc/imapd.conf that would 'exhibit'
some slowdown... so every time he changes a folder, TBird logs in
again... it's not very good about using only 1 connection and keeping it
open.

So that may be your culprit... in that case, you can go into Account
Settings and turn on "Secure Authentication" if you have configured
Cyrus to allow CRAM-MD5 Secrets.
>> Additionally have you tried to run reconstruct or squatter on his INBOX
>> to see the difference?
>>
>> (replace the $PREFIX with where your cyrus bin utilities are, and
>> username with the username in question)
>> $PREFIX/bin/reconstruct -r -f user.username
>>

> Ah, that's "cyrreconstruct" on my system.
>

>> or
>>
>> $PREFIX/bin/squatter -r -v user.username
>>

> No, I have not.
> I will study what I need to backup before doing this.
>
> Do I need to turn Cyrus off before doing this?

No you don't, squatter can be run while Cyrus is :)  Infact, you can
have it run in /etc/cyrus.conf like I do.

such as,

  squatter     cmd="squatter" period=14400

It's benefit is mainly for when 'searching' in inbox's... however I've
found it can be beneficial.
>> Beyond that, it's really a guessing game without more information... You
>> can additionally enable logging so you can see every command his mail
>> client makes and what the server responds with (which can be beneficial)
>>
>> cd /var/imap/log (create the directory if it doesn't exist)
>>
>> then mkdir username (replace username with their username)
>>
>> ensure that the directory's above are owned by cyrus:mail and then you
>> can find a file in /var/imap/log/username
>>
>> like for me,
>>
>> cyrus at desolation /var/imap/log/damm $ ls -l
>> total 8
>> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 1359 Sep 19 15:50 12133
>> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 3946 Sep 19 15:51 12157
>>
>> then inside there you can actually see the connection like...
>>
>> <1190242306<3 select "INBOX.Drafts"
>>
>>> 1190242306>* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
>>>
>> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)]
>> * 2 EXISTS
>> * 0 RECENT
>> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 1131130979]
>> * OK [UIDNEXT 359]
>> * OK [NOMODSEQ] Sorry, modsequences have not been enabled on this mailbox
>> * OK [URLMECH INTERNAL]
>> 3 OK [READ-WRITE] Completed
>> <1190242306<4 getquotaroot "INBOX.Drafts"
>>
>>> 1190242306>* QUOTAROOT INBOX.Drafts
>>>
>> 4 OK Completed
>>
>> Between all of the above, I think we can give you a good answer.
>>

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Do I only need to make a directory to turn logging on? Strange.
>
> I read in the debian-specific manual: "If you upgrade from cyrus 2.1,
> all you need to do is to upgrade the database files from the old
> database backend to the new one".
>
> The old database backend (db4.2) is in this version of Debian. So
> upgrading is not needed, I think? Or does he mean something else?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

You might want to check your logs to see if he's not having any errors
with his .sub and .seen files... that may be happening.  Additionally if
he is logging in via PLAINTEXT there is a delay there possibly in
/etc/imapd.conf

As far as making that directory it turns on some extensive debugging
information.  It will tell you everything going on including any errors
sent back to the client that may not be shown at all.

If i'd take a guess you might have some slowdown with the database
files.... It's been awhile since I ran 2.2, but I believe in
/etc/imapd.conf there should be an option to define what type is
(db_nosync, skiplist, etc) ... and if that's so you can always convert
to skiplist (there's a utility that can be found by searching the IMAP
archives) and you will find some speed up with that.

Scott